I just saw a documentary on Netflix called Best of Enemies. It chronicles the debates that the then (and now) loser network called the American Broadcasting Company (ABC) set up for the Republican and Democrat national conventions in the pivotal 1968 presidential elections.
They chose two of the most intelligent people from either side. For the left, Gore Vidal, the prolific postmodern author and for the right: William F. Buckley, Jr, the writer and editor of National Review, the definitive conservative (read, ‘Classic Liberal‘) magazine.
This ‘docco’ was interesting, explosive and focused in it’s discussion of the debates themselves and the presidential election cycle surrounding them. If you don’t have Neflix, you can see it here via YouTube. This version isn’t perfect (the frame is zoomed-in on itself, missing peripheral images)…but you’ll get the gist. However you watch it, it is a must-see for historians and classic liberals.
I woke up from deep sleep this morning thinking, “Does it all come down to greed and envy?”
And in my pre-coffee, eyes-still-closed thoughts I set a definition:
Politics (among other quite valid definitions) is the study of people, unsatisfied in their own lives, motivated by the greed and envy of another person’s original thoughts or deeds to control/have power over them.
And as I thought about it more, I realized that any person – not necessarily a person we would recognize as a “politician” that falls into this description is a person that is simply trying to fill a vacuum. A vacuum in their own original thoughts & deeds.
And further, because the act of having control or power over someone is an act that one knows in their own mind is a horrific & shameful act, they convince themselves by convincing others that their motives are altruistic.
There appears to be a pattern emerging from these thoughts. And it explains to my own mind the reason I lean so strongly libertarian. Because if I chose the way of the neo-liberal, Progressive or Socialist (all essentially synonymous), I would fall into that class of people I described in my definition of politics above.
I would hate myself as most Democrats and socialists in this country must hate themselves. They must look at themselves and their lives devoid of any truly original thoughts, deeds or good acts towards their fellow citizens. And if I were like they are, I would conspire with other self-loathing people to…
- Set up indoctrination camps that our children are required by law to attend daily.
- Force others at gunpoint to pay for things that others’ principles tell them are abhorrent.
- Denigrate those that aren’t self-hating as they are by using cute social engineering mechanisms like ‘political correctness’ and media messaging loaded with covert and overt messaging that THEY, not YOU are actually the smarter and “better” people.
- Develop methods to destroy those things in society that I don’t agree with.
So now, after finishing the thoughts I had this morning in my first waking moments AND more importantly my first cup of coffee, I’ll finish by revealing my Kryptonite. My Kryptonite is knowledge and the use of that knowledge to form rational, self-evident arguments against any man or woman that would find it necessary to force their will upon me. As time passes, so grows the power of my Kryptonite and my understanding those I use it against.
With thanks to @glennbeck for reading this on-air:
Were the founders saints? Um…not even close. Did they “institutionalize slavery” …one incredibly narrow way of looking at it is…YES
And in hopes my friend truly DOES crack open a book and looks carefully enough, I’ll give him (and you) a little spoiler…
Racism will never be eradicated anywhere. If you were looking for Utopia, you got off on the wrong planet…too bad for you.
- But if you’re looking for a society that puts racism where it belongs; as a background event to be marginalized…
- If your looking for a society where racism is practiced only by those inconsequential & ignorant beings that will always populate the Earth…
- If you want a functional society where the content of your character is used to determine your usefulness to society…
You need to listen to this man and do what he says.
A series of 5 short videos that show how creepy the government really is and how it EFFs up everything and everybody it touches.